- Responsible for collaborating with healthcare providers and members to promote quality member outcomes, to optimize member benefits, and to promote effective use of resources.
- Ensures medically appropriate, high quality, cost effective care through assessing the medical necessity of inpatient admissions, outpatient services, focused surgical and diagnostic procedures, out of network services, and appropriateness of treatment setting by utilizing the applicable medical policy and clinical guidelines, accurately interpreting benefits, and managed care products, and steering members to appropriate providers, programs or community resources.
- Works with medical directors in interpreting appropriateness of care and accurate claims payment. May also manage appeals for services denied.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts pre-certification, continued stay review, care coordination, or discharge planning for appropriateness of treatment setting reviews to ensure compliance with applicable criteria, medical policy, and member eligibility, benefits, and contracts.
- Ensures member access to medically necessary, quality healthcare in a cost effective setting according to contract.
- Consults with clinical reviewers and/or medical directors to ensure medically appropriate, high quality, cost effective care throughout the medical management process.
- Collaborates with providers to assess member’s needs for early identification of and proactive planning for discharge planning.
- Facilitates member care transition through the healthcare continuum and refers treatment plans/plan of care to clinical reviewers as required and does not issue non-certifications.
- Facilitates accreditation by knowing, understanding, correctly interpreting, and accurately applying accrediting and regulatory requirements and standards.
- Requires a BSN, current active unrestricted RN license to practice as a health professional in applicable state(s) of the United States, and 2 years of acute care clinical experience or case management, utilization management or managed care experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Healthcare related certification and/or Master’s degree a plus. For URAC accredited areas, the following professional competencies apply: Associates in this role are expected to have strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, problem-solving skills, facilitation skills, and analytical skills.
Extra Job Content
This is an example of some common job content that can be shown at the bottom of every job description. It is added in the CMS and then shown on every job. It can be used to supplement the job content that comes from the ATS.